Cohocton - was formed from Bath and Dansville, June 18, 1812. A part of Avoca was taken off in 1843, and a part of Wayland in 1848. It lies on the north border of Steuben County, west of the center. The surface is mostly a hilly upland, separated into ridges by deep and narrow valleys. The principal streams are Conhocton River, flowing southerly through the center, and its tributaries. The soil is generally a slaty and gravelly loam. Liberty, (Conhocton p.o.,) on the Conhocton, is a station on the B., N, Y. & E. R. R., and contains 2 churches. Population 200. North Cohocton (p.v.) contains 1 church and 30 houses. Bloods*1 a hamlet, is a station on the R. R., 1 mi from North Cohocton. The first settlement was made in 1796, Richard Hooker and Joseph Biven*2. Rev. Elisha Brownson, (Bapt.) the first settled minister, removed to the town in 1811. The census reports 4 churches in town; 3 M. E. and Presb.
Bloods*1 - Named from Calvin Blood. This is rendered an important station upon the R. R. from its connection with the Canandaigua Lake Route. A daily line of stages runs to Naples, at the head of the lake, and a steamer plies daily between the latter place and Canandaigua.
Joseph Biven*2 -James and Aruna Woodward settled in the town not long after; Joseph Chamberlain, in 1805; and Saml. Chamberlain, Capt. Jonas Cleland, Joseph Shattuck, Horace Fowler, and _________ Eddy, in 1806. Timothy Sherman, James Bernard, Saml. Rhoades, Jesse Atwood, Isaac Morehouse, and Chas. Burlinghame were also early settlers. The first marriage was that of Jos. Biven and Sarah Hooker, in 1798; and the first birth, that of Bethiah Hooker, their child, in 1800. The first death was that of Richard Hooker, in Feb. 10, 1801. Jonas Cleland built the first saw and grist mills in 1808; and Jos.Shattuck kept the first inn, in 1809. Sophia Trumbull taught the first school in 1810.
-- All information obtained from the "Historical and Statistical Gazetteer of New York State 1860"